Monday, December 16, 2013

A conversation with an Old Lady

As usually this evening I waited for Mayasari bus AC49 at the bus stop in front of Slipi Jaya Mall, West Jakarta. Looking at the waiting seat under the shelter, I slipped my body in an empty space between two women.

A moment later, an old lady on my left side spoke to me with a wierd words. She appologized that she couldn't speak clearly due to a stroke. But I understood a bit.

"My purse was torn by a pick pocket," she said showing me the torn purse, "I had no money for paying the bus home."

I was pitty on her. "Just tell the bus conductor that you have no money, Maam", I said.

"I don't think he'll understand my words." Her voice sounded miserable.

Later I knew she needed Rp8k to pay for the bus. I thought for a while whether she lied or not. But then I changed some money before gave it to her. She was grateful.

Our conversation continued to her life story. It was her sick brother that brought her there. He was alone taking the trip to his place since her children were at work. They were married and left home to live their new lives. She got a grandchild to nurse since his mom worked. But the grandchild had passed away due to dengue fever. This story part made her sad.

Suddenly my bus came that made a farewell for us. May Allah saved her on her way home, and me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment